Brief functions are as under:
- Over all supervision of the Cooperative Department in the province.
- Supervision of the Liquidation process of the Frontier Provincial Cooperative Bank Ltd (FPCBL) being carried out through the Liquidator, the Bank of Khyber.
- Implementation of the Recovery Campaign and Relief Package announced for recovery of Cooperative loans, which had been approved by the Provincial Government.
- Holding of regular meetings of the Assistant Registrars/District Officers, Cooperative Societies in NWFP and the Liquidator Frontier Provincial Cooperative Bank Ltd. Regarding Recovery of Cooperative Loans.
- Technical Support to the District Officers.
- Controlling, transferring and posting of the District Officers/Officials.
- Making and maintaining complete record of development schemes, if any, and other activities of the Cooperative Societies at Provincial level.
- Support Provincial Cooperative Societies.
- Support litigation cases in the Court.
The Provincial Government announced a relief package for the cooperative loan defaulters on 31.12.2004. The package is for one year and will exhaust on 30.12.2005. Under the relief package, interest/mark-up is waived off for those defaulters who deposit/repay the loan within the period of relief package.
Under this relief package, an amount of Rs.89,75,044.64 has been recovered from 1.1.2005 to 31.10.2005. Incentive of 2% and 10% for those recovery staff has also been announced by the Provincial Government who recovers the loan in cash or sell the mutated property.