Functions of attached departments are elaborated as under
Operation and Maintenance Wing
Small Dams Organization
1. Operation and Maintenance Wing
Operation and Maintenance of existing canal and drainage system
Operation and Maintenance of tube wells and lift irrigation schemes.
Equitable distribution of irrigation water within the existing infrastructure.
Repair, Rehabilitation and improvement of existing flood protection works.
Operation and Maintenance of small dams and headwork and barrages.
Assessment and collection of abiana
Collection and updation of hydrological data.
2. Development Wing
Explore/conduct feasibility study for potential new scheme lying outside the existing canal infrastructure.
Construction of new irrigation infrastructure.
Land reclamation by constructing Flood Protection Works and Drainage System.
Liaison and coordination of mega project being under take by Federal Government through WAPDA.
Improvement and rehabilitation of existing civil canal system.
3. Small Dams Organization
Identify and conduct feasibility study for potential small dams sites.
Construction of small dams in the province.
To full fill responsibilities
There is no formal mission statement of the department but under NDP a mission statement for PIDA was developed which is as under:-
“To be an autonomous and self sustaining professional organization committed to equitable, judicious and effective distribution of existing water resources and management of drainage infrastructure to enhance the quality of life of the people of NWFP”
This mission statement covers only the operation side of the development. In addition to this Irrigation Department also has the responsibility of development of water resources in the province which are in line with National Water Visio and Millennium Development Goals.
Rules of Business
As per rules of business the Irrigation Department has to perform the following functions:-
1. (a) Rivers and reverine surveys
(b) Construction and maintenance of canals;
(c) Tube-wells and other water utilization schemes in areas other than those declared as “Locals Areas” under the Soil Reclamation Act, 1952;
(e) Drainage other than field drains in areas declared as “local areas” under the Soil Reclamation Act, 1952; and
(f) Storage of water and construction of water reservoirs.
2. Barrage construction work and all matters connected therewith.
3. Water logging schemes in areas other than those declared as “Locals Areas” under the Soil Reclamation Act, 1952;
4. Land Reclamation schemes in areas other than those declared as “Locals Areas” under the Soil Reclamation Act, 1952;
5. Flood Control schemes.
6. Administration of the Canal and Drainage Act, 1873 (VIII of 1873).
7. Booking of irrigation where Minor Canal and Drainage Act is applicable.
8. Matters pertaining to distribution of river supplies.
9. Inland water ways and inland navigation.