According or Workers' Welfare Fund Ordinance, 1971, functions of the NWFP Workers Welfare Board are as under: -
(a) as soon as may be after its constitution, make and carry into effect a scheme regulating or providing for the regulation of-
- matters connected with allotment, cancellation of allotment and fixation of rent of the houses financed by the money allocated from the Fund, and their maintenance and repairs;
- any other measures for the welfare of workers financed by the money allocated from the Fund; and
(b) have the power to recover the rent and arrears of rent of such houses in the manner laid down in section 11-D;
(c) have the power to evict any person from such a house in the manner laid down in section 11-E;
(d) have the power to do any other thing necessary for, connected with, or incidental to, the discharge of its functions under this Ordinance or the rules or scheme made thereunder;
(e) get its accounts annually audited in the prescribed manner; and
(f) by notification in the official Gazette make regulations to regulate its procedure.
- NWFP Workers Welfare Board is a body corporate created under Section 11-A of the Workers' Welfare Fund Ordinance, 1971 which is central statue and funds are being allocated by the Governing Body of Workers Welfare Fund constituted under Section-7 of the above quoted ordinance. The funds are being drawn by the Governing Body from the Workers Welfare Fund created under Section-3 of the Ordinance stated ibid, which established by the initial contribution of the Federal Government and thereafter being fed by various sources created under the Federal Laws. According to Section 11B(3), The Chairman of the Board shall be its Chief Executive. It has its own Board of Governors consisting of Employers, Employees, Industrialists and Government officials for decision making.
- NWFP Workers Welfare Board has two Directorates i.e. Directorate of Education and Directorate of Works. Works Directorate is engaged in construction / execution of various projects and schemes while Education Directorate is engaged in education related facilities, moreover, it has 14-Nos. Working Grammar Schools, 09-Nos. Industrial Homes which are imparting free of cost education to the workers' children (male/female)
- NWFP Workers Welfare Board is providing welfare benefits to the industrial / mine workers in the light of provision under the Ordinance in following sectors :-
a) Housing Sector
Construction of Family Quarters / Flats for the industrial workers which are allotted on rental basis through their respective managements.
b) Education Sector: -
Construction of Schools, Industrial Homes for providing free education to worker's children.
c) Health Sector: -
Construction of Medicare Centers, 25 bedded hospitals and 50 bedded Center for Kidney Diseases at Hayatabad Medical Complex (HMC), Peshawar for providing health facilities to worker's and their families through Employees Social Security Institution (ESSI) and Provincial Health Department.
d) Other Welfare Measures:-
NWFP Workers Welfare Board is providing Marriage Grant facilities @ Rs.50,000/- per daughter, Death Grant compensation @ Rs.300,000/- per worker and inter, graduate and post graduate level scholarships to worker's children.